Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stone Graining video

Had fun shooting this short clip while graining a litho stone:



Lithographic limestones are re-usable; once an image is drawn, processed and printed, the image can be removed and the stone used again for a new image. I use a levigator to grain off the previous image from the top surface of the limestone. The process is a bit painstaking, in that I start with a very course carborundum grit to blast away the image, going through several rounds. Carborundum grit is basically shaved metal. It's like using sandpaper. Then I progressively use finer and finer grits to level off the stone and create a smooth surface. During the process, I have to be consistent ands even, I cannot grain one side more than the other or else then the stone becomes uneven, which then interferes with the printing process later on. So periodically while graining, I also check the level of the stone and check for any scratches. Scratches will interfere with my image. I want the stone to be a smooth as a sheet of Rives BFK, having a slight tooth to the surface so the drawing materials will adhere nicely.

So while it is painstaking, it is also very meditative. Like kneading dough for a baker. Or at least that's how I imaging kneading dough would be like!

No comments: